Don't be left out in the cold this winter...
Posted by: Carlene O'Carroll on December 01 2014 | Tagged:
New research commissioned by the Debt Advisory Centre Scotland (DACS) has revealed some chilling statistics:
- 10% of Scots say they have used credit to pay their gas or electricity bill, an increase of 4% on this time last year.
- One fifth of Scots are worried about paying next month’s bill.
- Also last year the Scottish CAB service recorded a 79% increase in the number of cases related to household fuel bills.
This winter you could be entitled to a discount of £140 on your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The discount won’t affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment and you can also qualify for the discount if you use a pre-pay or pay as you go electricity meter.
Scotcash works in partnership with G.HEAT to provide advice and help check your eligibility for the scheme, they will also contact your energy provider for you so there is no need for you to worry about filing out any forms. In addition to this the advisors are able to provide advice on a range of issues such as:
- reducing fuel bills - including obtaining the best tariffs
- making the most efficient use of heating systems
- provide advocacy and assistance in dealing with the utilities in respect of billing or metering issues
- arrange benefits health checks
- provide access to grants or discounts for home insulation measures
If you don’t qualify...
Some suppliers can offer the discount to vulnerable people (e.g. those on a low income) however each supplier has their own rules about who else (known as the ‘broader group’) can get this help. Check with your supplier if you meet their rules for broader group help and how to apply for it.
If you feel you need help with any of the above please Contact Us to make an appointment with our G.Heat advisor.